IAHR World Congress, 2022
From Snow to Sea
19-24 June 2022
Programme of activities for Young Professionals
On the occasion of the 39th IAHR World Congress a variety of activities will be dedicated to young professionals, including the following:
- 1. “How to write a good paper for JHR and other scientific journals”
- 2. Meet an advanced-career peer!
- 3. 2022 John F. Kennedy Student Paper Competition
- 4. Young Professionals Network Assembly
- 5. IAHR Young Professionals Hydro-Environment challenge
- 1. Young Professionals Night
- 2. “Meet an advanced professional from industry”
- 3. Pre-congress workshops
“How to write a good paper for JHR and other scientific journals”
Meet the IAHR Journals Editors
Talk and chat meeting with Moez Louati, JHR Editorial Board Member and Professor at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China
Monday 20 June 2022, time: 14:00-15:00
Attendees will learn what happens behind the scenes when your paper is submitted to a peer-reviewed journal and moreover, some tips on how to get a good score from the reviewers; and what happens if your paper is declined? You will also learn how to make the most of it. Examples from the IAHR Journal, the Journal of Hydraulic Research, one of the leading journals in the field of Hydraulic Research and Engineering, and other IAHR journals will be provided.
Meet an advanced-career peer!
An opportunity to meet IAHR senior professionals during a session hosted within the 39th IAHR World Congress where young professionals can meet them in an informal setup.
Tuesday 21 June 2022, time: 14:00-15:00
Director General for Water, Ministry for the Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge, Spain
Institute for Modeling Hydraulic and Environmental Systems, University Stuttgart
Thursday 23 June 2022, time: 14:00-15:00
2022 John F. Kennedy Student Paper Competition
Founding Statement and Rules: https://www.iahr.org/index/dawards/5
We’re thrilled to announce that we received over 90 applications for the IAHR John F. Kennedy Student Paper Competition!
This high level of interest is indicative of the number of talented young water students making waves in hydraulics and water resources research across the world who are excited to share their progress. We thank all participants for applying.
The Committee on Education and Professional Development is now assessing the applications and a shortlist of 12 applicants will be released soon. On Tues 21 June from 16:30-18:30, a special session during IAHR World Congress in Granada, Spain will feature the shortlisted applicants who will present their work in person.
The winner will receive a cash prize of US$1500, a commemorative plaque and due recognition during the closing ceremony of the IAHR World Congress!
The John F. Kennedy Student Paper Competition was established by the IAHR Council to honour the memory of Professor John F. Kennedy, former IAHR President and Honorary Member. Professor Kennedy made significant and lasting contributions to the Association, and is remembered particularly for his efforts to foster membership and participation of younger people.
• Mónica Basilio Hazas (Germany)
• Matthias Bürgler (Switzerland)
• Mahmud Amin (Canada)
• Isabel Echeverribar (Spain)
• Matthew Halso (Switzerland)
• Nicolas Hanousek (UK)
• Melissa Latella (Italy)
• Acacia Markov (Canada)
• Simone Pagliara (Switzerland)
• Seyed Ahmad Reza Saeidi Hosseini (Canada)
• Antoine Villefer (France)
• Hojung You (USA)
• Rui M.L. Ferreira (chair Committee on Experimental Methods and Instrumentation)
• Eva Fenrich (chair Committee on Education and Professional Development)
• Anna Adeva (LT member Committee on Ecohydraulics)
• Roberto Ranzi (chair Committee on Climate Change Adaptation)
• Claudia Adduce (vice chair Committee on Fluid Mechanics)
• Moez Louati (chair WG on Transient Flows)
Young Professionals Network Assembly
Join and meet the worldwide community of IAHR young professionals and IAHR leaders at their biennial assembly!
Tuesday 21 June 2022, time: 18:30-19:15
• Opening of the YPN Assembly
• Presentation of the IAHR Young Professionals Networks
• IAHR Young Professionals Hydro-environment Challenge
• Update on recent activities
• Foprthcoming activities
• Introduction to the Ecohydraulics Network (ECoENet)
The assembly is open to all young professionals attending the congress!
IAHR Young Professionals Hydro-Environment challenge
This informal meet and greet session will take place during the Young Professionals Network Assembly. The Assembly will showcase the recent activities of the YPN community with a particular focus on the Hydro-Environment Challenge. The participants of these activities are invited to meet in person and share their results and experience with the IAHR community.
More info: https://ypchallenge.iahr.org/
Young Professionals Night
The YPN night is an informal and relaxed evening specially dedicated to young professionals.
It will take place on Tuesday evening (time: 19:15-22:00) in the gardens of Carmen de la Victoria (https://carmendelavictoria.ugr.es/informacion/presentacion/galeria), a tradicional house with enclosed garden. It is located in the Albaicín neighbourhood, the old Arab Quarter, declared UNESCO World Heritage Site. There will be a walking tour from the congress venue to the Carmen de la Victoria, where drinks and light snacks will be provided. The visit will include a Fun Water Quiz hosted by the SpainYPN.
Spaces are limited and free registration will open soon.
Register here to attend the YPN Night
“Meet an advanced professional from industry”
Friday 24 June 2022, time: 14:00-15:00
• Maria Bermúdez Pita, Co-Chair of the 39th IAHR World Congress
• María Jiménez Portaz. Organising Committee 39th IAHR World Congress
• David Ferras Segura, Chair of the Task Force for Young Professionals Development
• Daniel Valero, IAHR Council YPN representative member
• Juan Naves García-Rendueles, President of the IAHR Spain Young Professionals Network
• Manuel Regueiro, IAHR Spain Young Professionals Network
• Michael Nones, Member of the IAHR Technical Committee on Education and Professional Development https://www.iahr.org/index/committe/19 and Advisor of the IAHR Poland Young Professionals Network
To find out more about IAHR Young Professionals Networks click here